Home /Handmade Soap /Oatmeal Milk and Honey Handmade Soap

Oatmeal Milk and Honey Handmade Soap

by madaise · 9 comments

in Handmade Soap

Oatmeal Milk and Honey Soap Recipe

Delicious! Ok, so soap isn’t suppose to smell good enough to eat, but this one does! Be sure to tell the kids the bar of soap is NOT a cookie. The scent of almond is enough to make you wonder ‘where’re grandma’s cookies?’.

Tasty smells aren’t your thing? Mine either, typically. I have been told time and again that this is the most awesome scented soap! It’s a huge favorite. And as much as I don’t care for those tasty fragrances, this one rocks! You’ll want everyone to smell it (it’s just that good!) and then you’ll realize it’s time to hide it so you can savor it all for yourself – yes, it really is that good!

Here’s one of my favorite soap recipes. It’s simple and easy to remember.

Creamy Olive Oil Soap Recipe

80% Olive Oil
20% Palm Kernel Oil

5% Sodium Hydroxide

1 Pound Recipe:

12.8 oz Olive Oil
3.2 Palm Kernel Oil

2.18 Sodium Hydroxide

To figure liquid*, a safe range would be to multiply the lye amount by 2.2. I usually use a range somewhere between 1.7 and 2.0 for figuring my liquid requirements. For new recipes, I recommend 2.2.

If you want to use real Milk, like goat milk or buttermilk, then you want to measure your needed amount and put it in the freezer. Goat milk will get hot fast when you add the lye to it, so making a frozen slush of it is the way to go.

Now, you’re down to the nitty-gritty details of goodness for this soap.

1 TBS Honey, per pound of soap
1 TBS finely ground Toasted oatmeal
1 oz, per pound, OMH fragrance oil**

**You can leave it out the fragrance oil and it’s all good and yummy. But if you want an extra special kick to it, one that will make all your gift recipients sigh when they smell it, you need to add some ‘Oatmeal Milk & Honey’ fragrance oil to it. My absolute favorite Oatmeal Milk and Honey fragrance oil is by Brambleberry.

If you want a soap with more lather, reduce the amount of olive oil to 65% and add 15% Coconut Oil.
Remember ANY change you make to a recipe, or any time you make a new recipe, be sure to run it through a lye calculator to ensure you won’t be “lye heavy” and your percentages are correct!

Like with my Lavender Oatmeal soap, I like to toast my oatmeal… Here’s how I make my Powdered oatmeal – I toast whole oats in the oven until lightly browned. Then I ground very fine in a coffee bean grinder. Same as the lavender powder, my typical usage rate is about a tablespoon per pound of oils. I also like to add a bit of organic baby oatmeal cereal. I like that it has the extra vitamins. Whether they hold up in the soap process or not, the idea is nice.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jeanine January 19, 2009 at 11:20 am

Where is the recipe for the oatmeal milk and honey recipe? I cannot find it. Could you please share it with me? Thanks.

Jeanine

Judi January 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Jeanine – my all-time favorite recipe for soap is 20% palm kernel oil and 80% olive oil. It’s so simple and makes a really nice hard bar that has a lovely creamy lather. Sometimes I use goat milk, other times just water… if I’m doing something special, I may use tea of some sort (lavender, oatmeal, etc).

To the recipe I’m using, I’ll add my extras… in this case, I’d use goat milk for my liquid (run your recipe through a lye or soap calculator, so you know how much you need to use).

When using oatmeal, note that any pieces of oatmeal with be coarse in the soap.. so if you want a soft soap, grind your oatmeal in a coffee grinder and then filter it through a wire mess strainer so you are just getting oatmeal powder. If you’d like, toast the oatmeal before you grind it. If you aren’t adding any fragrance, the toasted oatmeal with scent it naturally… not strong, though. Figure approximately 1 TBS per pound of oil.

Once your soap is mixed and hits a light trace, add honey to it. Again, approximately 1 TBS per pound of oil.

If you want to add fragrance, Oatmeal Milk & Honey is a lovely scent. I use 1 oz per pound of soap, but a little less is fine too.

Redthorn July 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

That’s not a very specific recipe…

Judi / Momma Muse July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Redthorn. Someone else had commented on that a lot time ago and I did put a recipe in the comments. However, I have added to the post. Originally, I was selling soap from this site, and this post is a left over from that time. I do plan to add recipes to all the posts missing them though. So thanks for the nudge. :)

Tako July 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Be careful about the palm oil as it’s the leading cause of rain forest deforestation in Indonesia…why not use another substitute…..

madaise August 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

trisha August 15, 2013 at 6:55 am

How do you measure these ingredents that is in percents,, and where can i buy sodium hydroxide? I’m a beginner so i have alot of question like how where how much,what to and not to do. Can you help me learn the ropes to making soap? I would like to be able to make it andsell it.

madaise August 30, 2013 at 12:50 am

I highly recommend you do a bit more research before you try making soap. You can read through many posts on MommaMuse.com and learn a lot, but you definitely want a good understanding of what and how before you try. You might want to start with Lisa Chambers article on What Needs to be Learned First.

Soap / Lye Calculator will help you turn percentages something you can measure (You will need a soap making scale – you can find them on ebay for about $45 or $50 – your scale must be able to weigh in grams).

Hot process soap making using a crock pot is a simple way to start making soap – but you need a crock pot dedicated only to soap making (in other words, don’t cook food in it afterwards).

Marsha November 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

What would make a similar substitution for Palm Oil or Palm Kernal Oil? I’m having a hard time finding those where I live and don’t want to pay high shipping rates to order it online.